Hello Fairborn Primary students and parents! I'm Mrs. Scohy, one of the School Counselors. This is my first year at Fairborn Primary School, and my 6th year in the Fairborn City School district. I have spent 4 years at Fairborn High School and 1 year at Baker Middle School. Before becoming a school counselor I was in the military for 5 years and graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy. I love my job as a school counselor and look forward to working with you this year!!!
As a School Counselor, I perform the following roles in order to promote positive development in academic, career, and personal/social domains:
- Individual counseling
- Small group counseling
- Classroom guidance (i.e. Large group counseling)
- Attend and participate in academic intervention meetings
- Organize and administer building testing
- Observe students in various school environments
- Consult and collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators, social workers, and students
- Respond to school crises or emergency situations
- Provide information and resources to parents on a variety of issues
Lunch groups are small groups of children (typically 4-5) from the same grade level. These children are chosen to be part of a group depending on the topic. Students may sign up for a specific group, teachers or parents may refer, or students could be chosen by the counselor. Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Social skills
* Organizational Skills
* Anger management
* Self Esteem
Typically, groups meet over the lunch/recess hour, once a week, for a period of 6 weeks. Parents will be informed when their child is being asked to participate in a group via a parent permission letter and/or a phone call from the counselor.
***Confidentiality is stressed at our first meeting.